Wednesday, March 21, 2007

WWLA SUCKAS!!!!!!!


I warn you this blog is going to be boring and monotonous as nothing TOO special really happened. I might… might add pictures later. Maybe. Probably not.

Also I introduce you to my guest star for this blog… Jason Ho. He is Big Boss Comic’s acting editor or sorts ... kinda... not so much. He is a great, imaginative artist and funny guy. Here is a link to his blog. If you like drawings of 80s cartoon characters, this is the place to go.

I drove up to L.A. this last weekend to attend the 4th annual Wizard World Los Angeles Comic -Con. Not much to really say about the con itself except it was small.

I left my house on Wednesday night, headed over to Jason’s for what I thought was going to be a night filled with watching wrestling DVDs, but after one DVD we realized that the burned wrestling DVDs I had wouldn’t work on Jason’s player, so that meant Jason and I actually had to talk to each other. Jeez what I nightmare, I’m sure you all now know how much I hate talking to Jason. So after a long uncomfortable silence and stare fest; Jason and I went to pickup a little fake chicken… a.k.a. … K.F.C. We watched “ the greatest 50 moments in TNA history” DVD, which was interesting to watch with Jason considering that Jason really didn’t know that much about TNA, even though he liked to act like he did… the dork.

(Just to clarify something, Jason and I get along surprisingly well, and Jason is one of the few people who I can talk to for hours with the conversation never getting dull. I was joking before; I say this now just in case no one gets my sarcasm.)

The night ran long as Jason and I talked wrestling, comics, cartoons, our own careers, and a few other funny things that had us both laughing.

One thing about this weekend was that I learned how much I hate talking on my cell phone. Hate. Hate it. I felt like my right ear was bleeding and causing me to go deaf. My phone rang so many times that when the battery died it was like the clouds opened up and angels came down to take me away to heaven.

Thursday morning I woke up early and left for a meeting I had with a movie producer. I got a little lost on my way, but managed to make it in time. ( Thankfully I left for it two hours early.) It was an interesting meeting. One thing I noticed is that he had notes. Notes detailing what he thought of my projects. It was very interesting. Most of the producers I’ve meet don’t know how to read, but this guy actually read my pitches and had constructive comments about them. He really liked a few of my ideas and I handed him more copies of my comics. He wants to see a treatment of one of them, which is my goal/project for this week. Next I surprised Jamilyn at work, taking him and Damon for lunch. Bullshit-ed with them and listened to Damon’s idea for a movie.

On my way back going to Jason’s house I had the honor of sitting in L.A. traffic. It was a long time since I had sat in traffic like that; it was like greeting an old friend... an old friend that beat you up as a kid, stole your comic book money and rode off with your bike.

Friday was the beginning of the actual WWLA show. Parking was nice and easy, right under the convention hall. As soon as I walked in I was surprised to see how small the show had gotten. It had moved into a smaller hall and everything. For a comic book convention it was missing some of the main comic book companies. There was no DC, Dark Horse, ONI, or Image. I walked the floor within an hour and saw it all. I didn’t want to spend any money on the first day so there really wasn’t much to see after that. I wandered over to artist alley where I introduced myself to a few artists I had never met whose art I love. I’m not going to say which artists I met and/or whose art I liked because of two reasons, One; I don’t want anyone reading this to then look them up and pretend they liked those artists too all along when they never really did (trust me it happens), and two because I try to be mysterious like that.
I was able to shoot the shit with a few buddies I only see at Conventions and other kinds of nerd gatherings, which was great and a lot of fun.

Even through the floor was small I didn’t go to this convention to wander around amongst the nerds… no I was going to meet editors. One editor in particular. This editor was going to be at a panel that afternoon and after missing him in New York I had to see him this time around. (The reason I missed him in New York is a story I will tell in a future “NEW YORK COMIC-CON edition of this blog continuing the last NY blog).
I sat through the panel, listening to anal retentive question after question, and then once the panel was over I noticed the editor was leaving and no one was approaching him, so I jumped at the chance to introduce myself. He was cool and listened to me do my pathetic little speech about how much I want to write comics for him. He gave me his card and told me to send samples and email him before they arrived. He seemed cool and explained that sometimes it can take forever for the books to come out after they are finished…
Yeah for anyone who knows me you know I’m used to waiting on my comics coming out after I’ve written them… (You know who I’m pointing fingers at.)

After that I went to lunch with my buddy Dan where we talked a basic marvel vs. dc conversation. Back on the convention floor I was introduced to my new editor at Desperado/ATP. The old editor is now in charge of creative relations. The new guy is cool and is very excited to get started on the books. Our release dates are September and October. Hopefully?

That night Dan and I went over to the exclusive Wizard party. Which was a blast, but wasn’t really my idea of a party so after I took Dan back to his car I went to the indie party at Meltdown where I met up with mojo pimp master and Gentleman Zombie artist extraordinaire Jacob Glaser, who was already pretty wasted from the free beer flowing freely from a keg at the bar. The party had great highlights such as… the bathroom line… the great art on the walls… awesome music being mixed by Jim Mahfood himself… some guy trying to break dance and falling right on his face in front of a crowd of people… and the best of all... as the night got late… Jim Mahfood freestyling about tacos! You had to see it to believe it.

Zen eventually showed up after midnight so we bullshit outside as I sat on the Sunset strip concrete (because my feet where tired), while Zen showed me art from his comic and we talked about my con experiences that day. I gave Zen a copy of my rapid fire pitch list for him to read and give me feedback. (He read it a few nights later and texted me that he hated me because they were so good. I don’t know if I should take that as a compliment or not. It reminds me of the time a Dark Horse editor said Gentleman Zombie reminded him too much of League of Extraordinary Gentleman. Is that a bad thing? To be compared to a work done by Alan Moore. There are worse comics to be compared to.)

Anyway. I made it back to Jason’s house and crashed out. Got some good sleep so I’d be ready for Saturday.

Saturday was overall uneventful. I walked around… bullshit with a few people, saw a few panels, and had a very long lunch with some friends talking about the future of Big Boss Comics. All good and fun times had by all. I was able to sit down and talk with a few people who I have been meaning to talk to about their plans for awhile. It was a pretty busy day, but unexciting all the same.
That night I went out to dinner with Jacob and a few other people. After dinner I did the unthinkable. I didn’t go out to a party or a bar. I just went back to Jason’s house. I think I’m over the whole con party thing. I understand that it’s good for my career, but I’d rather start going again once I have books out. Most times at those things I feel very fake and like I have nothing to say. I’d rather go back to Jason’s and talk comics, which is what I did. I’ve learned that brain storming my ideas with Jason makes my stories better. On thing that’s funny is that he went to school for writing while I went to school for art, and yet he is an artist and I’m a writer. Jason is also a writer but currently butters his bread with his art… you know what I mean. While talking with Jason I told him my plans for the next 4 NE story arcs where I realized a great and better ending to the next story arc, a breakthrough like that made my night.

Speaking of NE, there was one cool thing that did happen that day at the WWLA show. I found out that Necessary Evil has been changed from a four issue mini series to an ongoing series. Which to me is like a dream come true. That means they like it and believe in it enough that they think it can go on for awhile. During the meeting where I found this out, Jacob and I were able to ask a zillion questions about our future publishing deal, and I think we walked away satisfied and happy with all the answers we were given.

Sunday was a fast a simple day. I dragged Jason kicking and screaming to the convention. There was a DUB magazine convention next store, which made down town LA crazy. When we were driving up I noticed that the parking was 30-50 bucks… just to park your car! I didn’t know what the lines or the con were for at first, but saw all the cars and people and guessed Rim Convention. That was pretty sweet when I learned I was right. Does that make me a bad person…or a funny person.
After finding cheap parking 5 blocks away, Jason and I walked up and down every aisle in about 3 hours, picking up a few 50% off trades. I said my goodbyes to everyone, made one last walk of the floor, and got the hell out of dodge.

Then I did the one thing I wanted to do in LA all weekend. Something I had been waiting for weeks to do. I went to a little Philly cheese steak place near Jason’s house. They make great cheese steak. It was a perfect ending to an awesome weekend in L.A.

I made the long drive home listening to the radio and thinking about what I learned and did over the weekend. I got to where my girlfriend was house sitting and listened to her weekend’s adventures while watching Deal or no Deal.

That’s it... like I said, pretty boring.

Recommended Reading:
Exterminators.
Vertigo.
It’s good, go get it. There are 2 trades out. It’s like reading a really good HBO show. If you have a weak stomach or can’t stand the sight of bugs, even ones on the comic page, it might not be for you. But it’s a solid great read. It has art by Tony Moore from Walking Dead fame. You should just get it for that. I have read the first trade and have just stated the second one.

Wrestler of the Month:
Shooter Jackson.
Often described as a black Kurt Angle because of his intensity and athleticism, don’t let his whole over the top hip-hop persona fool you, this boy can wrestle. Shooter Jackson has been with CCW for about 5 or 6 years now. Argued as being the one man who deserves the Championship gold more than anyone else in the company who hasn’t already gotten it. His shoot style of wrestling (hence his name) originated from his career as an all-star all American amateur wrestler and football player. He was offered spots in the Olympic team and was considered a possible early draft pick in the NFL. But instead he followed a different dream and hit the indie wrestling circuit. Once getting into CCW Shooter was placed in a Tag Team with Over Munroe where he holds the record for longest tag champions in CCW history. His last great feud was with Ed “The Lone Star” Baker. Baker known as a classic wrestler and one of the greatest of all time put on a great series of shows with Shooter. Their promos against each other were classic. The ironic thing is that in the final blow off match of that feud, Shooter won by making Baker tap-out and yet two weeks later Baker won the CCW world title which he has held for over a year now. Shooter is stuck in a blood feud with his former tag team partner Over Munroe… again, but is expected to start a new storyline with “The better man” Mike Pierce at the next PPV. If you ever see Shooter live, and look past his stuck up self righteous attitude, you realize that he is an amazing athlete, one who has worked really hard to get where he is. He might get caught up in backstage politics every once in awhile, but when he is in the ring he is there to work and put on an amazing match for his fans.

(Shooter Jackson is TM. and copyrighted CCW and Kayfabe TV INC.)

My next blog will be about TV, DVD’s and Movies.

Also I’d like some suggestions on who my next MY TEAM blog should be about. I was going to do The Outsiders, but now I’m thinking of doing The Doom Patrol. If anyone has any better ideas... let me know.

Lates yo!

4 comments:

J.Ho said...

awesome, my first guest spot on your blog... but i do have one complaint about this blog post.... not enough about MEEEEEEE! now some random comments--

KFC... the chicken may not be real, but the cholesterol is!

TNA... it's true, i know nothing!

Con Parties... you've finally come over to my side. they're a big fat waste of time!

Cheesesteak... for everyone reading, Marky D's in culver city. if you're ever in LA, go there!

CCW... guh? okay, i don't know anything about that either. you should do an entire post on more obscure wrestling promotions.

MY TEAM... your next one should be about the power pack. no, seriously--if that's the gig you got today, who would you put on the team and how would you tackle it?

Max Hazard said...

you spelled KAYFABE wrong.
just letting you know.
by the way......

SHOOTER JACKSON RULES!

He's probably my number 1 fav right now. If you ask me, Ed Baker needs to Hang it up already. After all those wild matches in FURY I can't believe he can still walk. They need to put the strap on Blade but they'll probably just keep the belt on the old man. It kinda makes me a little sick.

illgnosis said...

Good times! But really you're not over con parties.. you just should never go without me. We are a perfect team: I break the ice and you know all the geek shit. YAY!

Danielle said...

um - how exactly did you make it to the cafe to meet the producer? I think you need to give credit where credit was due. Also - glad to know that I bore you with my weekend housesitting stories - delicious cherry atop the sundae. I'm sure. Love you still.